Water damage restoration is the process of restoring a property back to pre-loss condition after it has sustained any kind of water damage. It can be a long drawn out process and a frustrating one if not dealt with professionally. From storm or flood water damage to pipe leaks/burst and sewage back up you must ensure that your building is completely dried out before you begin any repair work.
What does the water damage restoration process involve?
- Call a water damage restoration company as soon as you realize that you have a situation on hand. If your home or commercial building is flooded then treat it as an emergency. Every minute counts.
- Get in touch with your insurance company. Many property owners’ policies cover water damage. In such cases you are required to work with an insurance-approved water damage repair company. The additional advantage of doing this is that they will use their experience to help expedite your claims
- Ask for a detailed estimate for your project. An established water damage repair company won’t start work till they give you a written estimate. You don’t want to add to your stress discovering hidden charges later.
- Ensure all the water is extracted. No repair work should be undertaken till this is complete.
- Secure a leaking roof, broken windows or doors, a pipe etc. to prevent more water from coming in.
- Do a complete damage assessment of the building including electricals, furniture and possessions. This will guide the water damage restoration process.
- Ask about the dehumidification and sanitization of all areas that have been submerged or touched by water (especially when you are dealing with sewage back up).
- Leave windows and doors open (when the weather permits) to promote natural drying. Also leave fans and dehumidifiers on (when safe). Natural drying is preferred.
- Replace wet flooring including floor boards, underlays and carpets. Don’t try to reuse them. It is a health and safety risk.
- Get a mold test done. In wet and damp surroundings there is always a high risk of mold development. This toxic substance not only destroys building materials but possessions as well. It is also a health hazard. You want to ensure this is taken care of before the repairs begin.
Ensure the work is completed to your satisfaction before you pay the bill. An established company will offer some form of warranties on the work that has been carried out. This helps take care of any future situations that may arise on account of work quality or mistakes.
To avoid unnecessary stress, check the water damage restoration company’s credentials (including license and insurance) before they start work.
Call 954-874-8016 for a free estimate or 24/7 emergency water damage restoration service in Broward County and Palm Beach County. We have real people waiting to take your call.
We serve the Broward and Palm Beach County cities of Coconut Creek, Cooper City, Coral Springs, Dania Beach, Davie, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, Hollywood, Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Lauderhill, Lighthouse Point, Margate, Miramar, Pembroke Park, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, Tamarac, Weston, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Jupiter, Lake Worth, Lantana, Loxahatchee, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Royal Palm Beach, Wellington, West Palm Beach.